August 6, 2007

high heels

Rather than answer this question via email, I thought I would answer it here - in case anyone else has the same problem.

Dear Kathy,
After being a stay at home mom for many years, I have decided to go back to work. This fashion transition has been 'not so bad' (thanks for your help!) - but my feet aren't keeping up. I can't seem to get used to wearing heels. Any suggestions?

Signed,
Aching Toes


Well, Aching Toes - I feel your pain! There are several things you can try:

1. If you are not used to wearing heels, and want to wear a pair of sexy stilettos for an event, wear them around the house for a few hours a day to get your feet (and walk) used to them.

2. Some people don't navigate well on a slim heel - likewise, others don't walk well on a wedge. If you're having trouble, try another style heel.

3. If the pain is in your toes, try a cushioned insert. I have a pair in every heel I wear (with the exception of my Cole Hahns that have Nike technology in the sole). You also might want to size up 1/2 a size for your heels to allow for some kind on insert.

4. If none of these work for you - admit defeet (haha!) and try a kitten heel or flat. These days, there are some REALLY cute flats and kitten heels (really tiny heels) that are simply adorable. I always suggest a pointed toe for most ladies, because it elongates the line of the leg, and offers the same height building illusion that a heel does.

5. Finally, if you are dead set on wearing a heel, you might want to consider investing in a good pair of shoes. By investing - I mean INVESTMENT shoes. I know my shoes...I have a lot of shoes (at every price point). The ones that were more of an investment do not hurt my feet. Those that were moderately priced - makes me feel like my toes are broken! Brands of shoes is like brands of clothing. It depends on your foot which brand is going to work best for you. Anyone who walks into my closet will notice that I have a ton of shoes...in a few brands. Some of my favorite are:
Couture - investment brands: Donald Pliner, Cole Hahn, Michael Kores
Moderately Priced: Nine West, Chinese Laundry, Franco Sarto

If all else fails, I have a customer who is a foot doctor. Drop me an email, and I will give you her name and phone number! I am positive she will solve the pain in your feet!

No comments: