August 7, 2008

Why do I wear a 12 in this brand, and an 8 in that one?

I got this note the other day from a client. I asked her if I could share it here - since it is something I think you all might be interested in.





Kathy, I have a quick question for you. I don't get why at Gap, Old Navy etc. I wear a 12. But when I tried on some things you've suggested, I fit comfortably into a 10...even got into an 8! Don't get me wrong, I am really happy about this! Are these clothes vanity sized? What is the deal?



-mystery sized one





Hi MSO,

***note - edited for clarification from original post. I don't think I explained things clear enough initially. I was trying NOT to give a lot of confusing detail, but it seems that in eliminating some of that detail - I've further confused some of you...I'd love to answer your specific questions on this hot topic!*****

No, this isn't vanity sizing. It all has to do with many things. Many apparel companies (brands) don't manufacture sizes 0-16...however, they need to be able to fit that range (if they are a national brand, or one that you can find at the mall). So, for example, if a brand is sized from 4-14...the 4 is going to fit small (to fit a 0-2), and the 14 likely will fit a little bigger (to fit a 16). This comes from my direct experience as a personal shopper - shopping for all sized customers - all over the country. It also has to do with inventory, reorders and grading of sizes based on a particular demographic. (ok, now I know you are totally confused...and not following me at all)

Also, there is a correlation between price and fit. It has to do with the quality of the fabric, and where the stitches are placed a garment (in other words, the pattern / seams - especially in jeans - where the side seam is on a jean makes a big difference in how they look/fit)...I know, it all sounds like gibberish.

Another reason is wrapped up in who the target buyer is of a garment. For example - Old Navy is primarily targeted to a younger crowd...so, their 'fit model' is based off of the average size of who their customer is. A trick - find a designer whose fit model (or target customer) is like you (ok - I know that sounds like it is an impossible challenge!)....this is why I say if you find a brand or designer that looks amazing on you - stick with it!

Finally, cut. There is a huge difference between various cuts of things - even within the same brand. For example, I have skirts from the same designer that are a 4 (and we all know I am NOT a size 4) up to a 10. They are very different in cut, and in some of the skirts, I purchased a little bigger, because I wanted it to hang lower on my hip. Likewise, when I shop at a store like Old Navy - I always have to go up a size in pants...sometimes, I have to do this at Banana too. I am not who they want to sell to, so I move on.



Bottom line is this - there is a difference (and there are a lot of factors...more than what I am touching on here), you are not losing your mind! This is why you have me to help you :).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here is what I have learned - I will let you be the expert! HA! Thanks for the help...I will stick to letting you do the shopping.

Anonymous said...

I know EXACTLY what you mean! You almost have to try on several of the same size of things sometimes to get one that fits right. At least I do - especially in cheap clothes.

-Meg

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.