May 27, 2009

Q&A on wardrobe to travel with


QUESTION:


I will be traveling to Washington D.C. the middle of June and would like your input on comfortable clothing and shoes for miles of sightseeing. I am 50 years old, 5'6" tall and thin. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

-Pam


Hey Pam!


Thanks so much for your question.


The one suggestion I would make to you on a travel wardrobe is to NOT try to change your style for a vacation. Many people do this. For vacations, they pack all kinds of things they wouldn't normally wear...so they never get worn. In today's economy of overpriced fees imposed on luggage - we simply don't have room for things we're not going to wear!


Let's create a capsule wardrobe. 7 ish pieces that you will be able to wear, mix and match - to create all the outfits you need on a vacation!


I suggest a few things. First, a crop pant that is light weight, something you can wear sightseeing, or could dress up. Pair that with a fun flowing tunic for daytime - and a great floral blouse for the evenings.


Next let's consider a walking short...something in a basic color (black or brown). Work those shorts with a tank top with some kind of detail on it (maybe a pattern, or some kind of rivet or embroidery detail) - this is perfect for daytime. For the evening, it is very chic to take walking shorts, add a silk blouse and a cardigan or jacket and strappy sandal.


I would also consider adding a light weight jacket or sweatshirt. You never know on vacations, when the weather is going to take a turn, and you need a little warmth! It's always a good idea to error on the side of caution...at least for me, I hate to be cold!


Finally, add in some extra shirts that will match with either the walking shorts or the crop pants. Things like tank tops for layering are always a good idea.


Shoes...you mentioned that you have trouble finding comfortable shoes. I suggest checking out Zappos. They have about every shoe you can think of on this site! I did a quick search on comfort shoes, and came up with roughly 10,000 options!



I've actually gown a fondness for Born shoes lately. Very comfy, and they have a new line called the Crown Collection, that is very stylish.



There is also a website/blog Barking Dog Shoes that I love. Lots of great advice for those with foot issues.



I hope this helps, and that you have a GREAT vacation!



-Kathy

1 comment:

Katty said...

I like your suggestions specially when a woman change her style when going on vacation. I suggest you to start shopping some fashion pumps, high heels, sandals, or any Women shoes, and always look into the Women shoes clearance section.