August 23, 2009

Michelle Obama's Shorts

(photo from the AP story "CAPITAL CULTURE: Michelle Obama's shorts flap By LISA ORKIN EMMANUEL (AP) )

I feel I would not be doing justice to my profession if I didn't comment on Michelle Obama's shorts. I have to say, I think it is crazy the obsession American people and media have with what Michelle wears. Can you imagime the stress that woman goes through every morning as she looks at her closet and says to herself "what should I wear today?" or, maybe more accurately "what should I wear today that the press will find favorable".

It would drive me to drink.

I won't condemn Michelle for her clothing choices. I won't criticize her stylist for bad decisions...but I'll offer my opinion on shorts over 35.

I have always been of the belief that there comes a time in every woman's life, when she needs to embrace the idea of modesty in all things. At a certain age, cleavage isn't so pretty anymore. Likewise, sometimes short shorts aren't as attractive on us as they may have been when we were in our 20's.

For my clients who are 40-something, and who may be well known public figures - I would suggest a sophisticated take on casual wear. Why? Because people are mean. If we can do whatever necessary to avoid the harsh comments, we've done our job.

In the case of Michelle, I would have simply suggested a walking short - something a bit longer (to her knee). Seeing that much leg on the First Lady (obviously) makes the American people uncomfortable. It's stupid, but it's the truth.

So Michelle - if you are reading this - in the future, if you need to bounce some style choices off me, feel free to call. I'll even give you my cell phone number.

No comments: