October 23, 2009

we take a time out for this PSA

WATCH OUT FASHION WORLD, WE'RE TAKING A LITTLE BREAK TO GET INTO SHAPE
If there is one thing that I know for sure - if you are in good physical shape, your clothing will look better on you.

Duh.

I'm sure we've all gone through times in our lives where we've gained weight - and felt like we look like crap (call it what it is!). Then, other times, when we've lost some weight and are toned - we feel like we could wear anything, and feel confident in it.

This fact made me reflect on the past 10 years.

Before I got married, I worked out ALL the time - seriously, sometimes 2 times a day. I remember traveling for work, coming home after being on the road for days on end, and heading straight for the gym before going home. As a matter of fact, my husband and I had out first date on a beach...and I was wearing a bikini. Was I nuts? No, I was in great physical shape, and very confident in wearing that itty-bitty-bikini.

Ahh yes, those were the days. The days of a waistline, toned abs, toned booty and hips, and a few sizes back from where I am today.

Over the past 2 years, I've seen my weight fly up and down on the scale. There is nothing more frustrating than gaining 20-30 pounds in a short period of time. Weight gain will destroy our self esteem, it effects our mood, the way we interact with people; it can put a wedge between us and our husbands. The crazy thing about weight gain is that it makes us tired...so we think we're too pooped out to get any exercise - but that is EXACTLY what we need to feel like a part of the land of the living.

Well, I learned a few things:

1. I'm no spring chicken
2. Thyroid is a very important thing, and you should learn more about how it works, and what happens to you when it isn't working
3. I have got to start paying attention to my body, and take better care of it

AND SO......
I figured out some things about myself, and was able to shed about 30 pounds in the past year. But then when stress popped back up in my life, so did sickness, fatigue and some of the weight...and I'm not very happy about it.

In addition to going back on thyroid medication, I have decided to start working out again.

But here is the thing - I hate exercise. I mean - really don't like it at all. I don't like to sweat, I don't like all the bouncing around, I hate running, I am clumsy, and I have a difficult schedule to try to work a routine into.

I called my friend Suzy who happens to be a personal trainer, and gave her my list of "fitness requirements". Once she regained her composure (from laughing at me...in a very loving helpful way), she said Pilates would be good for me.

Um, ok...so pilates it is.

I don't think I am unique or special. I think most women want a perfect workout / exercise regime - minimal sweating, little bouncing around, in a place where we didn't feel like we were on display or feel like we had to get all made up to exercise. Believe it or not - Suzy is giving me all that (and more)!

Over the next few weeks, I will chronicle my experience with Suzy. I'll share everything with you - all the ups and downs of Pilates. I'll share any weight / inch loss I see (and let's hope this is a biggy!). And will document any differences I feel in my day to day. I'll be honest - if I feel like I am going to die, by golly, I am going to tell you that!

My hope is at the end of my 10 sessions with Suzy that you become inspired to try a little bit of exercise. If you are in the Michiana area, I encourage you to call Suzy.



THE LOW DOWN:

Start Date: Friday, October 23rd
Goal: 2 sessions a week for 5 weeks (a total of 10 sessions)
Type of activity: Pilates with a personal trainer (this means one-on-one classes)
Where: The Fitness Center - off C.R. 6 (Elkhart), right off of the Toll Road entrance (CR 17)

1 comment:

Sherry Ingle said...

Hhhmm...pilates. Anxious to hear how this goes...never tried it but hear you get great results.