October 9, 2009

on getting older


I am not a kid.


I am well into adulthood.


Yes, I am over 40.


Funny things happen to you when you start to mature. Aside from the obvious, the time spent with Tweezers increases dramatically.


Things start to hurt for no apparent reason. Thing you used to be able to do - suddenly you can't. Not just that you get tired out...you CAN'T.


I have been coloring my hair for the better part of 30 years (I am not kidding). When you get older, and the roots get a little visible...you start noticing the grey hairs...and RUN to your hair dresser.


Your body changes - in some interesting ways.


You start thinking things to yourself like "is this outfit too young for me"?


We still look in the mirror every morning - but we fixate on different things. In my 20's, it was the zits, in my 30's it was the whiteness of my teeth. In my 40's....well, where did all these wrinkles come from?!


People say that you should grow old gracefully. I agree. Grow old gracefully with a fully stocked supply of eye cream, night cream, emergency adult zit cream and sunscreen.


One thing that is great about being an adult is finally being comfortable in my own skin. I am confident who I am, why I am the way I am. I have a strong Faith in God, good friends I've known forever, and too many shoes. It is what it is, and I am who I am. No apologies.


So tell me - what have you noticed most about getting older?


image from: photobucket.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have noticed that I appreciate things so much more than I ever did, and that there is so much more I want to learn. After having 3 college degrees, it seems that every day I don't feel as if I know as much as I should. I've also noticed that time goes by so much faster!
Wendy Hite

Rachel Beran said...

Well, I am 33 so not quite to that 40 mark, but still I can see that things are changing. :) Things just aren't as easy as they use to be. And I agree with Wendy, time continues to go quicker and quicker!! (You tend to notice that more when you become a mom too)

Oh, and your comment about tweezers scared me just a bit...I already use them way too much. What's it going to be like in a few more years?!?! I already made my hubby promise that if we get old and I can't tweeze my beard hairs that he'll do it for me! lol

Enjoyed visiting your blog. I will be back.