October 23, 2013

More Small Closet tips



Last week she gave you some general ideas on how to start organizing your closet.  Now let’s talk about specifics on how to organize that small space.

Step 1 – remove anything from your closet that you can’t wear now.  This includes things that don’t fit, things that aren’t seasonal and sentimental things (like formalwear).   These items need to find a new home.  Maybe a secondary close or in a storage bin under you bed (check Target or Bed Bath and Beyond for storage options). 

Step 2 – remove anything from your closet that isn’t a piece of clothing.  Many of us use our wardrobes for storage of LOTS of things other than clothes. Other ‘stuff’ creates clutter that will make it hard for you to really see what your outfit options are. 

Step 3 – keep the remaining things in your closet on the same kind of hangers.  This will keep things neatly organized and easy to find.  I suggest slim hangers (because you can fit more of them in a small space).  I like these: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=3241840  or these: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=123267.  For pants, an idea is to purchase clips and use the same hangers for your pants as you do for shirts.  I like these clips, they work very well with the other hangers I suggested: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=123367
Stay tuned for tips how to organize the things in your closet next week!

1 comment:

liveyourlovoutloud said...

This is a great post for me as I just started reorganizing our closet. NOT storing non clothes in it...BRILLIANT. I'm trying to go to a minimized wardrobe....and I LOVE the cobalt blue trench you chose for me. GRATZI!!!!!