February 1, 2009

what about ideas for the ladies?

About the time I agreed to help out one of my Twitter friends (a guy) find something for a black tie optional event, I had another request. I think they're going to the same event! But this person is a gal. Lisa is a fitness guru - I wish she lived closer, would love to go to one of her classes!

First, for ladies - when thinking about something to wear to an event, FIRST think about undergarments. I can't tell you how many times I have found a dress that I like, but can't find the right bra to wear with it. Do the undergarment thing FIRST - then eliminate the dress styles that won't work.


This is a not-so-basic LBD. It is by Papillon - what I like the most about it, is the price $63! Check it out at Flourish Boutique. I like this for Lisa for several reasons. First, the cumberbund style at the waist line - this will show off your waist. The a-line of the skirt is a flattering silhouette for you.
This next dress is also from Flourish Boutique (I happened to know they were having a great sale) - also Papillon, also on sale (for $45!). I own this dress, and it is stunning on. I layered the dress over a simple black cami (needed a little modesty at the neckline). The dress does all the right things in the right places. Actually, I styled this model in this dress - and of course, she looks great in it too!

Flourish can ship to you on the spot. If you need to get a hold of them on a Monday, drop me a note. The store is closed on Monday - but I can get a hold of the owner (Lisa, I know you are on a tight time crunch on this one).

Although black is a good formal wear color - it's safe, we feel good in black (especially this time of the year when we're all fighting the post holiday weight thing)...I would like to see Lisa in a little color.

I love this dress - I like the modest neckline, the rouching on the sides (super slimming!), and the color is yummy. It is from Donna Ricco, at Nordstrom for only $168. With the right undergarments, this dress would be HOT HOT HOT!
The detail in this dress hide a multitude of (holiday) sin! Because of the layers of fabric, the dress is substantial enough for this time of the year. This is from Nordstrom, and is by Adrianna Pappel - the price is $158 (also comes in black). This designer has a lot of great options, all at a very reasonable price point.
This is my favorite for Lisa - it captures the essence of the flair of the evening (that she described to me). It is full of style and class. The lines are simply stunning. All of the attention is at the small of the waist, the flirty hemline has movement, which will bring attention to great legs, and away from anything you want to 'hide'. It is by Tadashi, and is $408 - comes in this chocolate version, and in a black option.

Finally - this next look is stunning on. The matching jacket / dress just screams chic - is is Michelle Obama-esque. The color is cream with gold. The basic sheath style is very figure flattering. The key hold detail at the neckline of the dress is a little unexpected...This is also from Flourish Boutique (and I think it is Wendy Katlen ).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much Kathy! I love the Tadashi, it looks gorgeous and I was also eyeing the plunging neckline too. (the second one).

These are some great ideas and I'm grateful for taking the time.

How awesome . . . If you're ever in Boston, the Pilates workout is on me!

Lisa