April 18, 2009

Organic Clothing, a fashion "do" or "don't"?

Several months ago, I was sent a dress from ChooseSpun.com. The only thing I knew about the designer, was that it was an “organic clothing” company.

Now, don’t take this the wrong way, and please – no hate mail…but to me, the words organic and clothing didn’t make sense to me. Putting these two words together in a sentence conjured up visions of hippies, Birkies, some kind of political protest. All ok things, but not things I would consider my style.

I met Sara, the designer, on Twitter. She is a classy lady who I enjoyed trading fashion quips with. When she sent me the dress, seriously, I thought “oh how nice, I’ll probably give it to someone who will appreciate it”.

Boy was I wrong!

The dress arrived, and I tried it on. The fit was phenomenal (another thing I didn’t expect from an “organic clothing” line). And the style was very fashion forward, and truly a cut I would choose over and over again.

Over the next few weeks, I found myself pulling out my Spun dress time and time again. I found ways to dress it up, and to dress it down. Here is a photo of my favorite way to wear the Cowl neck dress.


Spun is a very young company (about a year and ½ old), and has 2 active collections for sale. The thing that has impressed me the most is the price point…I haven’t seen anything over $100, with prices ranging from $25 to $98.

I am looking forward to seeing Spun’s Summer 09 collection, and my sincere hope is that Sara designs a function everyday dress for summer, like the Cowl Neck Dress I work all winter long!



STYLE NOTES:
Spun dress
Handbag from Flourish Boutique
Boots: Paul Green from Zappos.com
Tights - Spanx (what else?!)

2 comments:

Jennifer Nicole said...

I love SPUN! It's so nice to find something organic that isn't...ugly. (Ha.) I hadn't pictured the cowl neck dress with the belt - it looks great! Maybe I'll tuck my cowl neck shirt into a skirt and try the same thing...

AlixRose said...

I have to agree with you - living in Seattle we have a preconceived notion of what organic is but I was happy to find Spun to be fashionable and organic/not the typical combo - I am going to collect all of the colors of her tanks, I live in the sangria one.

Also Sara is awesome, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised!